Are you prepared to treat a seriously ill child?
We all know that children are “not just little adults” but did you know that studies have repeatedly documented a low level of pediatric patients by EMS Professionals?
- EMT-Basic classes devote only 3 to 6 hours to pediatrics.1
- As a consequence of the low volume of pediatric calls, providers often lack necessary experience and confidence.2
- Pediatric trauma is more lethal than trauma in adults3, but mortality could be reduced by improving EMS interventions.4
- EMS personnel caring for critically ill pediatric patients often struggle with pediatric dosing1 and vital signs.
- Training in pediatric resuscitation can boost knowledge and skills initially, but these skills decay rapidly if not revisited. 5
- An examination of job satisfaction among paramedics found that pediatric calls were among the most stressful because of their low frequency.6
Focus EMS will devote over half of its sessions to the pre-hospital treatment of pediatric patients, potentially doubling the amount of pediatric education received by a new EMS Provider.
- Institute of Medicine. Emergency Care for Children: Growing Pains. Washington: The National Academies Press, 2007.
- Glaser et al. "Survey of nationally registered emergency medical service providers: Pediatric Education." Annals of Emergency Medicine 36, no. 1 (2000): 33-38.
- Seidel et al. "Emergency medical services and the pediatric patient: Are the needs being met?" Pediatrics 73, no. 6 (1984): 769-772.
- Ramenofsky et al. "Maximum survival in pediatric trauma: The ideal system." The Journal of Trauma 24, no. 9 (1984): 818-823.
- Wolfram et al. "Retention of pediatric advanced life support (PALS) course concepts." Journal of Emergency Medicine 25, no. 4 (2003): 475-479.
- Federiuk et al. "Job satisfaction of paramedics: The effects of gender and type of agency of employment." Annals of Emergency Medicine 22, no. 4 (1993): 657-662.
Focus EMS 2011 has been approved for Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Vermont CEUs. To learn about continuing education and Focus EMS click here.